Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fringe

JJ Abrams's new show finally premiered this week. I wasn't caught up in all the hype about it, because as much as I love Lost, I think it's gotten way weird lately. I love it because I was in it from the beginning, back before it was crazy super weird. Fringe starts off with the weird, and plans to keep going, and I really have plenty of weird from Lost and Heroes combined. Anyways, I watched the Fringe pilot online yesterday just to see what it was like, and here are my thoughts.

It's not bad. It's got an interesting premise, and you do get a lot of the explanations you were interested in by the end of the episode. There's a nice twist in it which I sort of predicted, but all in all, it was a well-made episode. Though I do admit, I was extremely grossed out at the opening sequence.

My main anger stems from the blatant similarities between this and Lost. Let's see: Story starts with a plane. One actor crosses over from Lost to Fringe. The show's about psuedoscience (which sort of is what Dharma was looking at). The same guy does the music for both shows, and they sound extremely similar (complete with a crescendo into an abrupt silence before commercial). Oh, and the one passenger they pointed out dying: Passenger 108. I mean, really? You had to choose THAT number?

So, the show was fine. I'm not hooked, which is a very good thing, and I've basically decided I'll be happy enough letting the season run, then reading an entire synopsis of it next year to find out what happened. That'll be great.

In the meantime, here's the breakdown of shows I'm going to be watching this Fall:

Monday

8PM Chuck (starts 9/29)
9PM Heroes (starts 9/22)

Tuesday

10PM Eli Stone (starts 10/14)

Thursday

9PM The Office (starts 9/25)
9:30PM 30 Rock (starts 10/30)


Not too bad, I think.

No comments: