Saturday, July 19, 2008

E3 Wrapup (sorta)

I've finally had to come face-to-face with the fact that Nintendo doesn't love me anymore. Ever since my very first video game console (a Game Boy), I've stood by them through everything. People said the Gamecube was terrible, I bought it anyway. Their first-party games have always been the best, and I've loyally remained a customer even as they changed their focus towards including everyone in games with the Wii. It didn't bother me, because I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I'm pretty bad at video games in general, so I felt like the Wii was a chance to play games and have fun. And it worked. For the first time, I beat a Metroid game, I beat a Zelda game without looking up a walkthrough. It's always fun to play Wii Sports against my friends, and no one ever gets tired of punching someone in the face with a Wiimote.

But their presentation at E3 this week finally struck a nerve. They weren't there to talk to me. They were there to talk to their new audience. Games like Animal Crossing, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Music were all moving towards "not games", and there was nothing there to appease me. This is the first time I actually feel like a different system.

I want my 360 back, so I can play real games. I see nothing in the future of Nintendo for me, and that is really disappointing to me. Sure, when some new first-party game comes out for the Wii, I'll be the first to grab it, but unless they can manage to wow me with a new generation of consoles, I think I might finally make a complete switch to a different company. I've always been curious about Playstation, maybe this is my chance to get one and see what all the fuss is about.

No comments: